- from application to solution
=> customer is able to configure a solution based on provided services and corresponding orchestration and configuration
- from static deployment to dynamic deployment
=>customer is able to update a bought component via online connection. new solution feature can be added, configuration can be changed based on demand.
- from function oriented usage to process oriented usage
=>the application functions are embedded in business tasks reflecting the business process of different user group. different user groups therefore faced with different application behavior.
this in particular means that the information must designed to provide
- size on demand
each information product can be configured to fit one particular product installation. product configuration can change over time
- update on demand
information updates can be provided as fast as possible using "online channels". on the other hand content must be available without any "online channel" available.
- workflow related content mapping
information must not only map to a particular function of the product as already done with e.g. context sensitive onine helps. the information must be mapped and aligned with the workflow / buisness process the production customer intent to use the product
if we look into the information deployment process (other part of information lifecycle is part of subsequent blog posts) one of the most interesting answers to this question is the usage of RIA frameworks for that purpose.
most promising application looking at information deployment is "Adobe AIR".
- most of the required features are part of the design focus or already implemented
- Adobe has selected information products in mind (using RoboHelp for creating online help for Air).
- DITA user community start development of a corresponding plugin to create Adobe AIR help from content created using DITA architecture. (see http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dita-users/message/12821
next step would be to define a gap analysis which features is missing in Adobe AIR and which buisness goal is therefore not fulfilled based on current available platform. i will do this during the next few weeks...see what the results are.